During a difficult economy, it takes much more ingenuity and determination to get business. If you are one of the designers negatively affected the past few years, consider these questions. And then think about how your answers can lead you on the path to increased business success.
For more information, see the related ASID ICON article, New Year, New Approach.
- How many types of marketing do you use?
- Do you have a referral program that you actively and consistently use to market your business?
- Do you use an email newsletter to stay in front of your prospects, past clients, current clients and referral partners?
- Do you budget enough for marketing? More importantly, do you even have a budget for marketing?
- Do you spend at least at least two to three hours on marketing every day?
- Do you monitor the number of clients you get (as a percentage) of the calls or referrals you receive?
- Do you know the lifetime value of your clients?
- Do you have a website?
- Do you offer an incentive for web visitors to join your list?
- Do you get calls from your website, and if so, what percentage of your web visitors take action?
- Do you have a blog to build a relationship with your current, past and prospective clients?
- Do you use social media to build a relationship with your prospective clients and send them to your blog or website?
- Are you listed on Google Places and on the maps for the different search engines like Bing, MSN and Yahoo?
Gail Doby, ASID, has been a practicing interior designer for over 24 years and has over 34 years of total business experience. In 2008, she co-founded Design Success University, providing designers a shortcut to a more profitable and passion-filled interior design business.