We discovered celebrity and high-earning designer’s secrets to financial and business success in the 2012 Fee & Salary Survey, and we’re ready to share them with you in the new 2013 Interior Design Fee & Salary Survey Results eBook.
Approximately 1,006 interior designers participated in the November 2012 survey.
For most designers, their financial results and satisfaction with the profession have been mixed and even dismal:
- 98.5% of interior designers feel underpaid for the amount of work they do
- 94% of designers want or need to make more money
- 72.6% of designers feel overwhelmed
- 80% want to feel more satisfied with their level of success
- Almost 60% of interior designers earned less than $45,000 in 2012, and approximately 6% earned $0.
SHOCKING STATISTIC! 23.2% of all interior designers left the industry between May 2008 and May 2011 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Discovering new strategies that financially successful designers use to earn six-figure+ incomes can transform how you approach your businesses to achieve higher incomes and more satisfaction with your career. You can “peek behind the curtain” for the first time to discover the reasons why celebrity and high-earning designers accomplish seemingly impossible results in challenging economic times.
Modeling high-earning designers is the “easy button” and can save you a lot of time, stress and money, and though you may not have considered this as a strategy, we give specific tips and resources that you can use even if you’re not well-known yet:
- One of the key strategies celebrity designers use is “high visibility.”
- The higher-earning designers are likely to be members of professional associations and feel that being involved is critical to their success.
- Additionally, these high-earners invest in professional development because they understand that it is a shortcut rather than learning by trial and error.
- And, the majority of high-earners have a team. More designers are using outsourcing today, and that strong trend is great news. It means that designers understand that they can’t “do it all” and have a high level of satisfaction and even income from their businesses without help.
Design Success University’s goal is to stop the attrition in the interior design industry by showing you and your interior design colleagues the vital business and marketing skills to survive and thrive. Our 180 page book is the first step you can take to change your results – and it is free. You will get more answers, strategies and advice when you download your copy at 2013 Interior Design Fee & Salary Survey Results eBook.
About Gail Doby, ASID, DSA, IDS – Gail is a practicing interior designer with her NCIDQ certification, degrees in finance & banking and interior design. She has a passion for construction, renovation and mentoring other interior designers. Gail co-founded Design Success University with Erin Weir on March 8, 2008 to help their colleagues achieve greater success by showing them shortcuts to a more profitable and passion-filled interior business. DSU offers coaching, classes and consulting to over 10,000 interior designers in 43 countries.
By Gail Doby, ASID