Thanks to everyone from design community who participated in voting for their favorite Portrait Project photo. The portrait with the most “likes” — more than 240 — belongs to Melanie Murata, Student ASID! Melanie’s sign, pictured above, reads: “Design Means … Empowering the Community.” Congrats to Melanie, who will get a $100 American Express gift card!
Melanie is past president of the ASID student chapter at Florida State University and will be grauating from the school’s interior design program this summer. She then plans to pursue a masters degree in interior design at FSU. Melanie joined ASID for Dwell on Design in order to accept the 2013 ASID Student Leadership Award and to attend GO PRO/LA.
Her Portrait Project quote was inspired by the Pro Bono session at GO PRO, particularly Mark Burnetz’ work and the Step Up on Second project. “The idea of helping and treating individuals who would otherwise be out on the street or incarcerated due to disorders, trauma, mental-illness and homelessness really inspired me,” she says. “Attending this event made me rethink my role as a designer, and about pro bono work. Empowering the community goes beyond personal pursuits, profit and success. The gift of lifting other members up in the community is truly invaluable, because after all, we all are interconnected.”
Our runners up with the 10 highest total “likes” are:
- Eliana Marcela Valencia, Monica Valencia & Oscar Valencia Leon: “I love design because … it’s a lifestyle”
- Krista Lackey: “Design is impactful because … it can change someone’s mood just by stepping into a room!”
- Ashlynn Barton Bourque: “Design is impactful because … it elevates our environments to be more useful, healthy and beautiful.”
- Ariel Steuer: “I design because … I’m a catalyst for positive social change for a sustainable future!”
- Lisa Loperfido: “I love design because … it’s my middle name!”
- Amy Steenport Wenger: “Design means … EVERYTHING”
- Patricia Ann Herrick Rozonkiewicz: “I love design because … it’s not just a career, it’s a way of life!”
- Gracie Ferreyro: “Design is impactful because … it completely changes the ambiance of a space … can bring smiles and happiness to people in a unique and special way!”
- Jason Opp: “Design is impactful because … it can change the quality of our lives.”
Thanks to all the inspired, creative designers and design lovers who participated in the ASID Portrait Project at NeoCon and Dwell on Design! And thank to everyone who took the time to “like” their photos — which got more than 1,800 likes in total! Although voting is closed, the album is still available to view on Facebook.