After a successful 2012 debut, Lutron is excited to return to the High Point Fall Market (HPMKT) to showcase its design collections. Lutron’s HPMKT booth (#M-1041) is an interactive event — visitors can operate the 20 different motorized window treatments and try out Lutron’s new fabric app. ASID caught up with Staci Quirk, marketing manager of Lutron, to discuss the company’s growth, the importance of the High Point Market and the latest trends in shades and lighting management.
Please tell us about your company.
Founded in 1961, Lutron Electronics is headquartered in Coopersburg, Pa., in the heart of the Lehigh Valley. From dimmers for the home, to lighting management systems for entire buildings, the company offers more than 17,000 energy-saving products, sold in more than 100 countries around the world. In the United States alone, Lutron products save an estimated 10 billion kWh of electricity, or approximately $1 billion in utility costs per year. The company’s early inventions — including the first solid-state dimmer invented by Lutron’s founder, Joel Spira — are now at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.
Lutron entered the motorized shading category, seeing daylight control as the perfect marriage to controlling electric light. Delivering high-quality, high-value shading products for the past 10 years, Lutron has recently revamped its entire fabric collection with more than 1,500 fabric and material options and exciting, new styles, which will be on display at High Point.
What is your involvement in the High Point Market?
After a successful debut a year ago, we are excited to be exhibiting at our third market. We have a space in the Suites at Market Square, booth #M-1041, with more than 20 different motorized window treatments on display. Visitors can use our intuitive controls to operate shades themselves, navigate our new fabric app, peruse our new collection of fabric binders, take fabric samples and copies of our new brochures or just grab one of our giveaway totes.
Why do you believe the High Point Market is so important to the design community?
High Point is a great asset for the design community because it showcases a great expanse of design styles and niches. High Point, to us, also goes beyond pushing product — it’s about building relationships and solving problems. Having knowledgeable staff on hand, we want designers to come in with their plans or fabric swatches so they can leave with solutions for the projects they are currently working on. We see High Point as a working space versus a trade show space.
For new designers or Market first-time attendees, what advice would you give them?
Embrace the show with an open mind and a good pair of walking shoes. The show may seem overwhelming to a newcomer, but you never know what you may find around the next corner or up the next stairwell. As long as you arrive understanding that this isn’t your normal trade show, which is a good thing, and that you won’t get through it in one day, you’ll certainly leave with some great ideas — and great contacts — for your next project.
What are you most looking forward to during the Fall Market?
Fall 2012 was Lutron’s first time exhibiting at High Point. For some designers, they were simply being reacquainted with Lutron; and for other designers, they were meeting us for the first time. Whether they are old friends or new acquaintances, we’re excited to return with a whole new line of exciting innovations that designers can incorporate into their projects to continue to be on the apex of design.
What can visitors expect to see at Lutron’s booth at the Fall Market?
At the show, we will be showcasing the Lutron Design Collections. Curated from leading fabric manufacturers all over the world. The newly refreshed and redesigned fabric offerings bring Lutron window treatments to the forefront of fashion. These design-focused collections unite the quality users expect with the variety they need, and have been expanded to include new shade styles and more than 1,500 fabric options. Some of the highlights include:
- Lutron now offers new shade styles, including: horizontal sheer blinds, available in 2” and 3” vane sizes, combine the soft elegance of a sheer with the precision control of a blind; fashion pleated shades, available in beautiful textured weaves, use crisp Z-shaped pleats to add dimension to any room; and fashion honeycomb shades, available in stylish textures and colors, offer superior insulation and an elegant look.
- The Gallery Collection offers an extensive line of fashion fabrics for roller shades, horizontal sheer blinds, pleated shades and honeycomb shades. Designers can choose from a variety of rich fabrics in warm neutrals, fresh whites and bright colors that pop.
- The Avant Collection® features beautiful, sophisticated, soft fabrics and natural woven woods in a collection of traditional drapery, Kirbé® vertical drapery and Roman shades. Earth tones and crisp, clean whites anchor this selection of timeless window treatments.
- The Classico® Collection is available in sheer, translucent and blackout opacities and a wide variety of colors for roller, tensioned, and cable-guided shades, and the collection is designed to suit any residential or commercial application.
- Fashion meets technology when Coulisse — a premier European brand in window fashion — and Lutron come together in our Coulisse Collection. Designers can choose from four fabric lines: Elegance, Tranquil, Bold for roller shades, and Impact XL pleat shades and Venetian blinds. Colors range from warm browns and rich indigoes to vibrant yellows, sweet pinks and powerful blacks.