By: Barbara S. Marini, FASID, IDEC
ASID National President
Designers create safer, more efficient, and comfortable environments for the world in which we live. Not only does this drive economic growth, but it enhances our daily lives and contributes to the well-being of the occupants of designed spaces. Communicating the positive impact of design is the top priority of ASID and the guidepost of all our initiatives. In this spirit, we are excited to take part in this year’s World Interiors Day on May 25, a global celebration of design’s influence on society and the built environment.
World Interiors Day is spearheaded by our partner, The International Federation of Interior Architects/Designers (IFI), and engages the entire design community through events and activities that encourage dialogue, participation and appreciation of the many facets of design. This worldwide effort is one way to emphasize the impact of interior design around the globe!
We are kicking off this week with a daily series of programs to inspire, engage and educate the public on the value of design. These programs include a consumer-focused video interviews with interior designers, social media outreach, and working with local governments to honor this important day.
I invite you to stay connected with our activities this week by reading what fellow designers and Industry Partners have to say about “Space Matters”, on on ICON Online, participating in our weeklong Instagram competition and viewing our NEW Tumblr page dedicated to inspiring quotes about design. And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter as we highlight activities that may inspire you as well! Share your inspiration with the hashtag #SpaceMatters and be entered to win a drawing for an ASID swag bag!
Other ways you can get involved might include:
- Volunteer with your local Habitat for Humanity, homeless shelter or other project
- Take a home and garden tour or better yet, become a docent and share your knowledge!
- Contact your Governor, Mayor or other local officials to advocate on behalf of the interior design profession
- Nurture a garden, inside or out
- Visit a local design museum
- Attend a design event — and take a non-designer friend with you
- Participate in an online design-related forum, webinar or CEU and blog or share it
- Engage students in local volunteer efforts; set up a temporary exhibit in a public forum
- Contact your favorite TV or radio station for an interview; take examples of your work
- Sit back and relax with an inspiring interior design book — or better yet, nominate YOUR favorite design book for IFI’s list of “50 Must Read, Must Have Books”
- Organize your living or office space (don’t forget to take before-and-after pics) or help someone else with their space
World Interiors Day is a wonderful time to share what we know about the impact of well-designed spaces. If we all do JUST ONE THING … let’s communicate the diversity of practice, range of experience and expertise of the ASID design community at large.
Let’s start there and together we can make a difference! After all, Space Matters.